[Python-Dev] Moving forward with the concurrent package

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Thu Aug 11 09:07:47 CEST 2011

Le Thu, 11 Aug 2011 09:03:35 +1000,
Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> a écrit :
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 4:55 AM, Brian Curtin <brian.curtin at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Now that we have concurrent.futures, is there any plan for
> > multiprocessing to follow suit? PEP 3148 mentions a hope to add or move
> > things in the future [0], which would be now.
>
> As Jesse said, moving multiprocessing or threading wholesale was never
> part of the plan. The main motivator of that comment in PEP 3148 was
> the idea of creating 'concurrent.pool', which would provide a
> concurrent worker pool API modelled on multiprocessing.Pool that
> supported either threads or processes as the back end, just like the
> executor model in concurrent.futures.

Executors *are* pools, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Besides, multiprocessing.Pool is quite bloated and therefore difficult to
improve. It should be slowly phased out in favour of concurrent.futures.

In general, it would be nice if people wanting to improve the concurrent
primitives made actual, concrete propositions. We've had lots of
hand-waving in that area for years, to no effect.

Regards

Antoine.