[Python-Dev] [PEPs] Rebooting PEP 394 (aka Support the /usr/bin/python2 symlink upstream)

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Thu Aug 11 20:31:33 CEST 2011

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 17:12:22 +0200, =?UTF-8?B?w4lyaWMgQXJhdWpv?= <merwok at netwok.org> wrote:
> I’m sorry if my opinion on that main point was lost among remarks on
> details.  To rephrase one part of my reply: Right now, the de facto
> standard is that shebangs can use python to mean python2 and python3 to
> mean python3.  Adding python2 to that and supporting making python
> ambiguous seems harmful to me.

OK.  So you are -1 on the PEP.

I'm a big +1.

To address your argument briefly, *now* a minority of distros have python
pointing to python2.  We expect this to change.  It may not happen
for 5 years, but someday it will.  So this PEP is about preparing for
the future.

Given that, I fail to see what harm having an additional symlink named
python2 will do.

And yes this was argued about earlier and should (in theory at least)
be addressed by the PEP, which is why I'm concluding that you are -1 on
the PEP :).

--
R. David Murray           http://www.bitdance.com