[Python-Dev] Packaging in Python 2 anyone ?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 17:35:29 CEST 2011

On 15 August 2011 11:31, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
> IOW, the task to do is:
>
> 1/ copy packaging and all its stdlib dependencies in a standalone project
> 2/ rename packaging to distutils2
> 3/ make it work under older 2.x and 3.x (2.x would be the priority)  <====
> 4/ release it, promote its usage
> 5/ consolidate the API with the feedback received

One thing that I, as a semi-interested bystander, would like to see is
sort of a component of 4. Namely, a document somewhere addressing the
question of why I, as a current user of distutils (setup.py, etc),
should convert my project to use packaging/distutils2 - and what I'd
need to do so.

At the moment, I see no benefit to me in migrating. New projects, or
projects that already know that they want one or more of the benefits
that packaging/distutils2/setuptools bring, are a different matter.
It's projects with needs satisfied by distutils, and code invested a
distutils-based solution, that could do with some persuasion.

I checked the docs, and "Distributing Python Modules" is for new
projects, and "What's new" basically says "we expect you to migrate"
but has no reasons or guidelines.

If someone borrows the time machine and makes this already available,
so much the better. Pointers would be appreciated!

Paul.