[Python-Dev] PEP 393 Summer of Code Project

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Tue Aug 23 09:02:54 CEST 2011

Torsten Becker, 22.08.2011 20:58:
> I have implemented an initial version of PEP 393 -- "Flexible String
> Representation" as part of my Google Summer of Code project.  My patch
> is hosted as a repository on bitbucket [1] and I created a related
> issue on the bug tracker [2].  I posted documentation for the current
> state of the development in the wiki [3].

Very cool!

I've started fixing up Cython for it.

One thing I noticed: on platforms where wchar_t is signed, the comparison
to "128U" in the Py_UNICODE_ISSPACE() macro may issue a warning when
applied to a Py_UNICODE value (which it previously was officially defined
on). For the sake of portability of existing code, this may be worth a
work-around.

Personally, I wouldn't really mind getting this warning, given that it's
better to use Py_UCS4 instead of Py_UNICODE. But it may turn out to be an
annoyance for users, because their code that does this isn't actually
broken in the new world.

And one thing that I find unfortunate is that we need a new (unexpected)
_GET_LENGTH() next to the existing (and obvious) _GET_SIZE(), but I guess
that's a somewhat small price to pay for backwards compatibility...

Stefan