[Python-Dev] PEP 393 review

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Thu Aug 25 07:09:28 CEST 2011

"Martin v. Löwis", 24.08.2011 20:15:
> Guido has agreed to eventually pronounce on PEP 393. Before that can
> happen, I'd like to collect feedback on it. There have been a number
> of voice supporting the PEP in principle

Absolutely.

> - conditions you would like to pose on the implementation before
>    acceptance. I'll see which of these can be resolved, and list
>    the ones that remain open.

Just repeating here that I'd like to see the buffer void* changed into a
union of pointers that state the exact layout type. IMHO, that would
clarify the implementation and make it clearer that it's correct to access
the data buffer as a flat array. (Obviously, code that does that is subject
to future changes, that's why there are macros.)

Stefan