[Python-Dev] PEP 393 Summer of Code Project

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at haypocalc.com
Thu Aug 25 11:10:50 CEST 2011

Le 25/08/2011 06:12, Stephen J. Turnbull a écrit :
>   >  Let's take small steps. Do the evolutionary thing. Let's get things
>   >  right so users won't have to worry about code points vs. code units
>   >  any more. A conforming library for all things at the character level
>   >  can be developed later, once we understand things better at that level
>   >  (again, most developers don't even understand most of the subtleties,
>   >  so I claim we're not ready).
>
> I don't think anybody does.  That's one reason there's a new version
> of Unicode every few years.

It took some weeks (months?) to write the PEP, and months to implement
it. This PEP is only a minor change of the implementation of Unicode in
Python. A larger change will take much more time (and maybe change/break
the C and/or Python API a little bit more).

If you are able to implement your specfication (a Unicode type with a
"real" character API), please write a PEP and implement it. You may
begin with a prototype in Python, and then rewrite it in C.

But I don't think that any core developer will do that for you. It's not
how free software works. At least, I don't think that anyone will do
that for free :-) (I bet that many developers will accept to implement
that for money :-))

Victor