[Python-Dev] Should we move to replace re with regex?

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 02:25:56 CEST 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 5:08 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 15:48:42 -0700
> Dan Stromberg <drsalists at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Then there probably should be a from __future__ import for a while.
>
> If you are willing to use a "from __future__ import", why not simply
>
>    import regex as re
>
> ? We're not Perl, we don't have built-in syntactic support for regular
> expressions.
>
> Regards

If you add regex as "import regex", and the new regex module doesn't work
out, regex might be harder to get rid of.  from __future__ import is an
established way of trying something for a while to see if it's going to
work.

EG: "from __future__ import re", where re is really the new module.

But whatever.