[Python-Dev] LZMA compression support in 3.3

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Aug 27 19:07:47 CEST 2011

>>> PEP 399 also comes into play - we need a pure Python version for PyPy
>>> et al (or a plausible story for why an exception should be granted).

No, we don't. We can grant an exception, which I'm very willing to do.
The PEP lists wrapping a specific C-based library as a plausible reason.

> It's acceptable for the Python version to use ctypes

Hmm. To me, *that's* unacceptable. In the specific case, having a
pure-Python implementation would be acceptable to me, but I'm skeptical
that anybody is willing to produce one.

Regards,
Martin