[Python-Dev] LZMA compression support in 3.3

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 03:33:10 CEST 2011

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 16:19:01 -0700
> Dan Stromberg <drsalists at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2) It's a rather arbitrary distinction that's being drawn between dev and
> > nondev today.  There's no particular reason why the line couldn't be
> drawn
> > somewhere else.
>
> Sure. Now please convince Linux distributions first, because this
> particular subthread is going nowhere.

Interesting.  You seem to want to throw an arbitrary barrier between Python,
the language, and accomplishing something important for said language.

Care to tell me why I'm wrong?  I'm all ears.

I'll note that you've deleted:

> 1) We could easily work with the dev / nondev distinction by
> taking a dependency on the -dev version of whatever we need,
> instead of the nondev version.

...which makes it more than apparent that we needn't convince Linux
distributors of #2, which you seem to prefer to focus on.

Why was it in your best interest to delete #1, without even commenting on
it?