[Python-Dev] Should we move to replace re with regex?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sun Aug 28 18:53:00 CEST 2011

Someone asked me off-line what I wanted besides talk. Here's the list
I came up with:

You could try for instance volunteer to do a thorough code review of
the regex code, trying to think of ways to break it (e.g. bad syntax
or extreme use of nesting etc., or bad data). Or you could volunteer
to maintain it in the future. Or you could try to port it to PEP 393.
Or you could systematically go over the given list of differences
between re and regex and decide whether they are likely to be
backwards incompatibilities that will break existing code. Or you
could try to add some of the functionality requested by Tom C in one
of his several bugs.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)