[Python-Dev] Python 3 optimizations continued...

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Tue Aug 30 13:38:29 CEST 2011

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 13:29:59 +1000

> Anecdotal, non-reproducible performance figures are *not* the way to
> go about serious optimisation efforts.

What about anecdotal *and* reproducible performance figures? :)
I may be half-joking, but we already have a set of py3k-compatible
benchmarks and, besides, sometimes a timeit invocation gives a good
idea of whether an approach is fruitful or not.
While a permanent public reference with historical tracking of
performance figures is even better, let's not freeze everything until
it's ready.
(for example, do we need to wait for speed.python.org before PEP 393 is
accepted?)

Regards

Antoine.