[Python-Dev] Python 3 optimizations continued...

stefan brunthaler stefan at brunthaler.net
Tue Aug 30 20:23:56 CEST 2011

> Do I sense that the bytecode format is no longer platform-independent?
> That will need a bit of discussion. I bet there are some things around
> that depend on that.

Hm, I haven't really thought about that in detail and for longer, I
ran it on PowerPC 970 and Intel Atom & i7 without problems (the latter
ones are a non-issue) and think that it can be portable. I just stuff
argument and opcode into one word for regular instruction decoding
like a RISC CPU, and I realize there might be little/big endian
issues, but they surely can be conditionally compiled...

--stefan