[Python-Dev] readd u'' literal support in 3.3?

Łukasz Langa lukasz at langa.pl
Thu Dec 8 13:08:31 CET 2011

Wiadomość napisana przez Stephan Richter w dniu 8 gru 2011, o godz. 12:05:

> It is somewhat naive to think that you can just tell
> everyone to upgrade to Python 2.7 and then use the future import. Having to
> change all that code can also be a big bug magnet.

A big bug magnet is using a Python version that is not getting any fixes whatsoever. When I'm backporting stuff from Python 3, I'm targeting 2.6+ because it's still somewhat supported by us. What's more important though is that there were tremendous changes in that release in terms of bridging the gap between Python 2 and 3.

I'm wondering why developers inflict so much impediment to support a Python version that's 5+ years old and was replaced by a newer one in virtually every operating system. Recent versions of Mac OS X, RedHat and Debian all sport Python 2.6+. It seems only GAE and Jython are stuck on Python 2.5.

Python 2.6 has ABCs, supports b'' (and even has a "bytes" alias for the str type), forward compatibility __futures__ (print_function, unicode_literals, division and absolute_imports), "except Exception as e", etc.

The thing we did miss was making sure the std lib doesn't break when unicode_literals are used. And that's a bummer.

--
Pozdrawiam serdecznie,
Łukasz Langa

IT Infrastructure Department
Grupa Allegro Sp. z o.o.

Pomyśl o środowisku naturalnym zanim wydrukujesz tę wiadomość!
Please consider the environment before printing out this e-mail.