[Python-Dev] readd u'' literal support in 3.3?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 06:41:40 CET 2011

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 3:33 PM, Chris McDonough <chrism at plope.com> wrote:
> Even if it weren't slow, I still wouldn't use it to automatically
> convert code at install time; a single codebase is easier to reason
> about, and easier to support.  Users send me tracebacks all the time;
> having them match the source is a wonderful thing.

Yeah, if single source doesn't work, then I think Antoine's suggested
way (i.e. convert once, then maintain two distinct branches and
builds, the way python-dev did for years with the standard library) is
a more sane option. It lets you investigate tracebacks properly, it
reduces your cycle times, etc, etc.

With a modern DVCS, it should be significantly less painful than it
was for us when we were maintaining four branches with only svnmerge
to help out.

Cheers,
Nick.