[Python-Dev] readd u'' literal support in 3.3?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Dec 9 09:20:42 CET 2011

> Sorry, I don't understand this.  What does it mean to be "str in both
> versions"?  And why would you want that?

One use case (and the only one I'm aware of) is to pass keyword
parameters. Python 2 insists that they are str (and doesn't accept
unicode), Python 3 insists that they are str (and doesn't accept bytes).

This is fairly uncommon as a problem, though, and is also solved in
Python 2.6, which does accept Unicode strings as keyword parameter
names.

Regards,
Martin