[Python-Dev] readd u'' literal support in 3.3?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 11:17:29 CET 2011

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 8:03 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> On 12/8/2011 8:39 PM, Vinay Sajip wrote:
>> on an
>>
>> entire codebase (for example, using setup.py with flags to run 2to3
>> during setup).
>

> Oh. That explains the 'slow' complaint.

As Chris pointed out though, the real problem with the "repeatedly run
2to3" workflow is that it can make interpreting tracebacks from the
field *really* hard. That's where Antoine's suggested approach may be
better - use 2to3 to do the initial mechanical update in a new branch,
then subsequently use a process similar to what we do ourselves for
the standard library (i.e. update the 2.x and 3.x versions in
parallel, perhaps using 2to3 on a few files if they have changed
substantially in a particular patch).

Cheers,
Nick.