[Python-Dev] Unicode re support in Python 3

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Fri Dec 9 15:42:43 CET 2011

Hey python-devers,

As I'm sure many of you are aware, Armin Ronacher posted a blog entry explaining the reasons he dislikes Python 3 in its current form.

Whilst I don't agree with all of his complaints, he makes a fair point about the re module Unicode support. It seems that the specific issue he has could be fixed by accepting the re module improvement / overhaul implemented by mrab:

	http://bugs.python.org/issue2636

As it comes with an active maintainer, and is a big step forward for Python regex support, I'd like to see it in Python 3.3. Reading through the issue it's not clear to me what needs to be done for it to be accepted (or rejected), beyond a general "it's a big change".

All the best,

Michael Foord

--
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/