[Python-Dev] readd u'' literal support in 3.3?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Dec 9 16:23:56 CET 2011

On Dec 09, 2011, at 06:09 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

>Given that WSGI 1.0.1 is defined in terms of native strings and restoring
>u'' support allows that to be expressed clearly in a shared codebase, I at
>least understand the point of the suggestion now. I'm not quite convinced
>restoring u'' is the right answer as yet, but a solid use case is always a
>nice place to start :)

Maybe a more interesting approach would be to expand on the `six` idea and
bring some of those concepts into the stdlib for 3.3.  You could implement the
u() function somewhat more efficiently in an extension module, and make that
available for older Pythons via the Cheeseshop.  I now also have a few more
Python and C level compatibility hacks that could make it into such a module.

-Barry