[Python-Dev] re.findall() should return named tuple

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Dec 10 05:01:00 CET 2011

On 12/8/2011 8:31 AM, Philipp A. wrote:
> hi devs,
>
> just an idea that popped up in my mind: re.findall() returns a list of
> tuples, where every entry of each tuple represents a match group.
> since match groups can be named, we are able to use named tuples instead
> of plain tuples here, in the same fashion as namedtuple’s rename works:
> misssing group names get renamed to _1 and so on. i suggest to add the
> rename keyword option, to findall, defaulting to True, since mixed
> positional and named tuples are more common than in usual use cases of
> namedtuple.
>
> do you think it’s a good idea?

I have not used named tuples or re.findall (much), so I have no opinion).

> finally: should i join the mailing list to see answers? should i file a
> PEP? i have no idea how the inner workings of python development are,
> but i wanted to share this idea with you :)

Ideas like this should either go the the python-ideas list or to the
tracker at bugs.python.org as a feature request. If you post to the
list, you should either subscribe at mail.python.org or follow it as a
newsgroup at news.gmane.org (which is what I do). Posting a tracker
issue requires registration of some sort.

--
Terry Jan Reedy