[Python-Dev] Tag trackbacks with version (was Re: readd u'' literal support in 3.3?)

PJ Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sun Dec 11 21:12:52 CET 2011

On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 5:30 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

> Is doctest really insisting that the whole line
>  Traceback (most recent call last):
> exactly match, with nothing added? It really should not, as that is not
> part of the language spec. This seems like the tail wagging the dog.

It's a regular expression match, actually.  The standard matcher ignores
everything between the Traceback line (matched by a regex) and the first
unindented line that follows in the doctest.  However, if you explicitly
try to match a traceback with the ellipsis matcher, intending to observe
whether certain specific lines are printed, then you wouldn't be using
doctest's built-in matcher, and that was the case I was concerned about.

However, as it turns out, I was confused about when this latter case
occurs: in order to do it, you have to actually intentionally print a
traceback (e.g. via traceback.format_exception() and friends), rather than
allowing the exception to propagate normally.  This doesn't happen nearly
as often in my doctests as I thought it did, but if format_exception()
changes it'll still affect some people.

The other piece I was pointing out was that if you change the message
without changing the doctest regex, then pasting an interpreter transcript
into a doctest will no longer work, because doctest will think it's trying
to match non-error output.  So that has to be changed when the exception
format changes.

So, no actual objection here; just saying that if you don't change that
regex, people who create *new* doctests with tracebacks won't be able to
get them to work without deleting the version info from their copy-pasted
tracebacks.  I was also concerned about a situation that, while it exists,
does not occur anywhere near as frequently as I thought it would in my own
tests, even for things that seriously abuse Python internals and likely
can't be ported to Python 3 anyway.  ;-)