[Python-Dev] readd u'' literal support in 3.3?

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Mon Dec 12 22:18:40 CET 2011

On Mon, 2011-12-12 at 09:50 -0500, PJ Eby wrote:

>         As someone who ported WebOb and other stuff built on top of it
>         to Python
>         3 without using "from __future__ import unicode_literals", I'm
>         kinda sad
>         that to be using best practice I'll have to go back and flip
>         the
>         polarity on everything.
>

> Eh?  If you don't need unicode_literals, what's the problem?

Porting the WebOb code sucked.  It's only about 5K lines of code but the
porting effort took me about 80 hours.  Some of the problem is certainly
my own idiocy, but some of it is just because straddling code across
Python 2 and Python 3 currently requires that you change lots and lots
of code for suspect benefit.

- C