[Python-Dev] IEEE/ISO draft on Python vulnerabilities

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at haypocalc.com
Mon Dec 12 23:56:50 CET 2011

>>> IEEE/ISO are working on a draft document about Python vulunerabilities: http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/plv/DocLog/300-399/360-thru-379/22-WG23-N-0372/n0372.pdf (in the context of a larger effort to classify vulnerabilities in all languages: ISO/IEC TR 24772:2010, available from ISO at no cost at: http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/index.html (its link is near the bottom of the web page).

Random comments. I didn't read everything.

--

"Vulnerability descriptions for the language Python Standards
and terminology based on the 3.x standard only."

10 and 2**1024 have the same type (int) in Python 3. I don't really
understand what "extended precision" means. There are no more "long"
integers.

--

"Python.16 Wrap‐around Error [XYY]"
(...)

Can you give me an example of such problem? If there is really an issue,
can we configure the FPU to catch such error?

pyfpe.h has PyFPE_START_PROTECT and PyFPE_END_PROTECT macros, but they
do nothing by default. You can to enable this protection using
./configure --with-fpectl.

--

"if(y > 0):print(x)"

Even if this example is valid, it is surprising to see parenthesis
around the condition in Python.

"if y > 0: print(x)"
or even
"if y > 0:
     print(x)"

would be better.

--

"Python also encourages structured programming by not introducing any of
the following constructs which could easily lead to unstructured code:

- Labels and branching statements such as GO TO;
- Case, GO TO DEPENDING, EVALUATE, switch and other statements that
branch dependent on a variable’s value; and
- ALTER which changes GO TO label to branch to a different label."

You have to modify the language (and so build your own interpreter) to
add a "goto" instruction to Python. Or do you mean that someone may want
to implement something like goto using exceptions for example?

--

"When sorting a list using the sort() method, attempting to inspect or
mutate the content of the list will result in undefined behaviour."

Oh... I never imagined such "use case". Let's try:

$ ./python
Python 3.3.0a0 (default:3ad7d01acbf4+, Dec 12 2011, 21:07:55)
 >>> def hack(x):
...  mylist.append(10)
...  return
 >>> mylist=[1]
 >>> mylist.sort(key=hack)
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ValueError: list modified during sort

Same behaviour with Python 2.7 and 3.2: so the Python behaviour is
defined, you get a ValueError.

Are there other ways to inspect or mutate a list while sorting it?

--

"The sequence of keys in a dictionary is undefined because the hashing
function used to index the keys is unspecified therefore different

Exact. You might mention that collections.OrderedDict has a defined
behaviour: it lists keys (and values) in the insertion order.

--

"Mixing tabs and spaces to indent is defined differently for UNIX and
non‐UNIX platforms;"

You can use the -tt command line option to raise an IndentationError (a
block can still be indented using spaces and tabs).

Victor