[Python-Dev] readd u'' literal support in 3.3?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Dec 14 18:23:12 CET 2011

>> And 2to3 is a good approach to maintaining a common code base.
>

> Not in the experience of the folks who are actually doing that task:

Well, I personally actually *did* the task, so that experience certainly
isn't universal.

> the
> overhead of running 2to3 every time 'setup.py develop' etc. runs dooms
> the effort.

How so? Running 2to3 after every change is very fast. I never use
setup.py develop, though.

> Using 2to3 during ongoing development makes Python feel like Java/C++,
> where "get a cup of coffee while we rebuild the world" is a frequent
> occurence.

Unfortunately, these issues never get reported. I worked on porting
zope.interface, and it never took 30 minutes for me, not even remotely.

Regards,
Martin