[Python-Dev] Fixing the XML batteries

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 09:54:17 CET 2011

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
> If these changes are considered acceptable, I'll copy the above over to the
> documentation bug I opened at
>
> http://bugs.python.org/issue11379
>
> Can these doc changes go into both 2.7 and 3.3? Given that there is no
> important difference between the implementations, I don't see why the
> documentation should differ in Py2.

Your suggested tweaks look good to me and could go into all of 2.7, 3.2 and 3.3

>> b) cElementTree should finally loose it's "special" status as a separate
>> library and disappear as an accelerator module behind ElementTree.
>
> There was no opposition and a general agreement on this in the thread,
> except for the warning that Fredrik Lundh should have a word in this. I
> wrote him an e-mail and didn't get a response so far. We can wait a little
> longer, I guess, there's still time before 3.3beta.

Having ElementTree implicitly do "from _elementtree import *" is a 3.3
only change, though. (Note that xml.etree.cElementTree isn't the
actual acceleration module - that honor already goes to
"_elementtree". The only bit missing is the automatic import in
xml.etree.ElementTree and the appropriate test updates to ensure the
Python version still gets tested)

Cheers,
Nick.