[Python-Dev] Fwd: Anyone still using Python 2.5?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Dec 21 13:42:45 CET 2011

On Dec 21, 2011, at 07:16 AM, Chris Withers wrote:

>What's the general consensus on supporting Python 2.5 nowadays?

FWIW, Ubuntu dropped 2.5 quite a while ago.  The next LTS (long term support)
release in April 2012 will have only Python 2.7 (and 3.2).  The currently
in-development next Debian release currently has only Python 2.6, 2.7, and 3.2
with 2.7 as the default.

For my own code, Python 2.6 is the minimum, and I'm seeing more upstream
libraries target 2.6 as a minimum also (e.g. dbus-python).  When projects say
they still need to target older Pythons, RHEL support is usually cited as the
reason.

Cheers,
-Barry