[Python-Dev] Anyone still using Python 2.5?

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Dec 21 14:20:44 CET 2011

On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 07:16:06 +0000
Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> What's the python-dev view on this?

Python 2.5 is not supported by *us* anymore (*). Anyone still using it
therefore relies on their OS vendor to apply potential security
patches and other important fixes.

Library authors can of course choose to still support it. I wouldn't
care personally. I'm of the opinion that people who (by their choice
of OS) have a preference for legacy software shouldn't ask for the
latest versions of Python libraries.

(*) From http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.5.6/ :

“This release is the final release of Python 2.5; under the current
release policy, no security issues in Python 2.5 will be fixed anymore.”

Regards

Antoine.