[Python-Dev] Fwd: Anyone still using Python 2.5?

Tim Wintle timwintle at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 10:44:32 CET 2011

On Wed, 2011-12-21 at 07:42 -0500, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Dec 21, 2011, at 07:16 AM, Chris Withers wrote:
>
> >What's the general consensus on supporting Python 2.5 nowadays?
>
> FWIW, Ubuntu dropped 2.5 quite a while ago.

Some servers I deploy to run Ubuntu, but we're installing previous
python versions to support our apps - OS support isn't a factor in which
version we develop for.

I work on applications in 2.4-2.6.

Generally:

2.4 apps are legacy and a migration is planned in the next year (either
to 2.7 or to pypy).

2.5 apps are the speed-critical ones. Our tests showed the performance
was different enough between 2.5 and 2.6 for me to not update. They also
have significant native extensions in them so are potentially the most
difficult to port to python3.

2.6 apps are newish and (mainly) pure python.

I can see myself still using 2.5 for many years, but porting the 2.6 and
2.4 code to either pypy or python3 in the not too distant future. I
believe we're most likely to choose python3 for apps with heavy use of
Unicode (and pick a version after the changes to internal unicode format
landed).

Tim Wintle