[Python-Dev] Anyone still using Python 2.5?

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Thu Dec 22 11:12:24 CET 2011

Antoine Pitrou, 22.12.2011 10:56:
> On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 09:44:32 +0000
> Tim Wintle wrote:
>>
>> 2.5 apps are the speed-critical ones. Our tests showed the performance
>> was different enough between 2.5 and 2.6 for me to not update.
>
> Really? Where's the regression?

That's not unexpected at least, and matches my own (limited) experience
here. My gut feeling is that Py2.6 added a lot of "new in Py3.0" overhead,
but without all the optimisations that went into Py3.x since then. At least
some of that came back later with Py2.7.

Would be nice to (eventually) see Py2.[567] run in speed.python.org in
order to get a better idea of the relative performance.

Stefan