[Python-Dev] MSI: Remove dependency from win32com.client module (issue4080047)

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Tue Feb 1 08:49:00 CET 2011

Am 31.01.2011 23:05, schrieb anatoly techtonik:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 10:58 PM, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:
>> Am 31.01.2011 21:45, schrieb techtonik at gmail.com:
>>> There is no b.p.o issue as it's not a bug, but a tiny copy/paste patch
>>> to clean up the code a bit while I am trying to understand how to add
>>> Python to the PATH.
>>>
>>> I see no reason for b.p.o bureaucracy. Mercurial-style workflow [1] is
>>> more beneficial to development as it doesn't require switching from
>>> console to browser for submitting changes. This way tiny changes can be
>>> integrated/updated more rapidly.
>>
>> The tracker is not bureaucracy, it's how our development process works.
>
> Don't you want to improve this process? Code review system is a much
> better place to review patches than mailing list or bug tracker.
> Especially patches that are not related to actual bugs.

If there are patches only on the code review system, others only on the
issue tracker, and still others on both, people will get confused quickly.
There needs to be a single canonical place to collect issues, and that needs
to be the issue tracker (since bug reports cannot go anywhere else).

I'm enthusiastic about anything that *improves* this process, but you're
proposing to *change* it.

>> I know that Mercurial uses a different process, with patches always going
>> to the mailing list and being reviewed there, but that would be way too
>> much volume for python-dev considering our number of patches.
>
> Seems reasonable. Do you have any stats how many patches are sent
> weekly and how many of them are actually integrated?

No, but you can have a look at the weekly "Summary of Python tracker issues"
emails that are sent to this list by a script.

Georg