[Python-Dev] MSI: Remove dependency from win32com.client module (issue4080047)

Ron Adam rrr at ronadam.com
Wed Feb 2 07:27:43 CET 2011

On 02/01/2011 09:51 AM, anatoly techtonik wrote:

> So far only Georg explained what patches sent to mailing list will not
> be reviewed, because there is too much volume. But bugtracker is not a
> patch tracker. It doesn't allow to monitor incoming patches by module,
> its search is very poor. Of course mailing lists are even worse in
> this regard, but there is nothing Python community can't deal with.
> The problem is to keep non-core people outside motivated, and the
> biggest problem with current "documented process" is that nobody even
> thinks about it.

I've seen quite a bit of changes over the years.  Yes, it's happens over
years because the release schedule is fairly long.  They try not to
interrupt the current schedule too much, so bigger changes to the
development process are usually made after a major release is done, rather
than during the middle.

Lately (the last two years) things have been quite a bit busier with the
addition of python3.x.  Once we get to where we are (mostly) only
concentrating on one major version again, then it will be easer to make
process changes.  (Less things to mess up if it goes wrong.)

I think after this next release is completed you will see more efforts
turning to improving the process.  Some of the vary things you have been
trying to pointed out I think.

As far as patches getting attention, it's getting better there too.  Every
time you make a comment or update an issue with a patch change, it gets
reported to the bugs list.  Many of the core developers watch that and will
add them self to the nosey list on that issue if it has something to do
with the parts of python they know.  If you have a patch that you feel is
complete and is ready to go into the next release or a bug fix for the
current one, post a comment on the issue asking for a review.  Chances are
you will get a reply in a few days.

I've found searching for other patches related to my patches helps. I can
search the tracker or the bug list for the module or problem I'm working
on.  It's really not that hard to find related issues.  Then I can post a
comment on those issues when I can be of help, and also post on that issue
a link to the related issue I'm working on.

Python is a large project with a *huge* user base.  So changes are
considered very carefully. Probably the hardest part is making changes in a
way that is very unlikely to break someone's program.  Mess up someone's
pay role process some place (even by the smallest change) and people will
get very unhappy really quick.  It's also not good to crash space shuttles
or google. ;-)

Cheers,
   Ron