[Python-Dev] Python merge module

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Feb 3 00:01:36 CET 2011

>> The Installer COM object is the platform standard mechanism, and
>> that's what msilib uses.
>
> Why maintain a lib when there's (better), free alternatives out there
> that are maintained by Microsoft itself?

Using msilib is easier than using Wix. It's also more flexible.
All you have to know is how the MSI schema works.

>> I really see no need to move away from that - it can create
>> arbitrary MSI files.
>
> Can it create merge modules? Transform files (e.g. localization)?

It could easily be extended to do so, in a straight-forward manner.

> Bootstrappers?

Not sure what this is - if it is what I think it is, there is no
need to (actually, there is no need to create the other two types
of files, either, as it stands).

> There's a lot more to ms installers than the msi
> itself. Wouldn't it be easier to maintain an XML file than an entire
> lib dedicated to something that someone else has already solved?

Definitely not. Python is easier than XML.

If you think otherwise, feel free to provide a proof in the form of
a Wix installation generator for Python.

Regards,
Martin