[Python-Dev] Finally fix installer to add Python to %PATH% on Windows

Brian Curtin brian.curtin at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 16:20:41 CET 2011

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 04:14, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 7:43 PM, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> I've helped quite a few "python newbies" on Windows who are also
> >> surprised / frustrated on learning that "python" on the command line
> >> doesn't work after installing python.
> >
> > Yes, I've always found it a surprising disappointment that I have to
> > manually munge the PATH and the installer doesn't *even* offer to do it
> for
> > me.
> >
> > But, since I don't know how to help fix the installer, I've just
> generally
> > stfu'd on this issue...
>
> This is how to fix an installer.
> http://codereview.appspot.com/4023055/diff/1/Tools/msi/msi.py
>
> Right now I am waiting for Martin's decision (and probably not only
> me). He is responsible for MSI stuff and the only one, who can
> integrate the patch. I don't want to put too much pressure on him, but
> it would be more comfortable for all of us to know what is he up to.
> I'd like to see this in 3.2 release, of course.

We're one week from the 3.2 final release, so adding a feature such as this
is definitely out of the question. Sorry to speak for Martin, but I'm
certain he would agree.

There are still outstanding considerations in the various issues on the
tracker, so it would be best to address them before requesting integration.
Example: What should happen when there is another Python installation on the
path?