[Python-Dev] API bloat

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Feb 9 15:41:33 CET 2011

On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 12:11:43 +0000
Mark Shannon <marks at dcs.gla.ac.uk> wrote:
> Various others have been added:
>
> int Py_EnterRecursiveCall(char *where)
> void Py_LeaveRecursiveCall()
> int Py_ReprEnter(PyObject *object)
> void Py_ReprLeave(PyObject *object)

Again, they haven't been "added". They have been there for a long time;
it's just that they weren't documented before (either because it was
overlooked or out of laziness, I don't know).

And these 4 functions are definitely useful for extension modules.

> HotPyModule_GetFilenameObject
> HotPy_CompileStringExFlags

Judging by the "HotPy" prefix, these aren't CPython functions ;)

> I'm sure all of these can be justified,
> its lack of process and review that bothers me.

Process and review of new APIs usually go through the issue tracker.
We also have a ton of new stdlib APIs in 3.2:
http://docs.python.org/dev/whatsnew/3.2.html
If each of these new APIs went through a python-dev discussion, this
mailing-list would become a huge mess.

Regards

Antoine.