[Python-Dev] devguide: More clarifications: use the term 'working copy' and mention 'hg update'.

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Feb 9 21:29:19 CET 2011

On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 21:17:51 +0100
brett.cannon <python-checkins at python.org> wrote:

> -One should always work from a checkout of the CPython source code. While it may
> +One should always work from a working copy of the CPython source code.
> +While it may
>  be tempting to work from the downloaded copy you already have installed on your

The difference between "downloaded copy" and "working copy" isn't very
clear. The important difference here is between "official stable
version" and "latest development sources".

> -To get a read-only checkout of CPython's source, you need to checkout the source
> -code. To get a read-only checkout of
> +To get a read-only checkout of CPython's source, you need a working copy the
> +source code. To get a read-only checkout of

Why talk about "checkout" at all? It's an SVN/CVS/RCS term, if I'm not
mistaken (even though it may occasionally be used with hg, it's a
synonym of "working copy" there).

Regards

Antoine.