[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] r88395 - python/branches/py3k/Lib/asyncore.py

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 10:18:52 CET 2011

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 2:20 PM,  <exarkun at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>> The desire is there, but it's a hard problem.  There was a similar
>> discussion before PyCon 2009, but not much came of it:
>>
>> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2009-March/086678.html
>
> I started working on a PEP last year, but I didn't get very far partly
> because I doubted the desire.
>
> What part do you think is a hard problem?  Convincing people to switch to a
> new API?  *Defining* the new API doesn't seem very hard to me.

If there is an essential subset of the API that the Twisted devs think
would be a suitable replacement for asyncore, while providing a more
straightforward migration path into Twisted itself, then it certainly
makes sense to include it.

The other possible sticking point I can see is that I don't know how
Twisted's licensing works - is there anyone with the legal authority
to appropriately license the code to the PSF for inclusion in the
standard library?

Cheers,
Nick.