[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] r88395 - python/branches/py3k/Lib/asyncore.py

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Sun Feb 13 23:36:59 CET 2011

On 13/02/2011 22:24, James Mills wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 8:11 AM,<exarkun at twistedmatrix.com>  wrote:
>>> I just had a look at the docs for Twisted Core, and it lists
>>> 10 sub-modules. The only one that really looks "core" to me
>>> is twisted.internet. Drilling into that reveals another
>>> 39 public sub-sub-modules and 10 private ones.
>>>
>>> Sorry, but you'll have to chop it back quite a bit more than
>>> that before it's focused enough to be a stlib module, I think.
>> Excluding stuff is not hard, seriously.  It's not hard to see that wxPython
>> integration doesn't belong in the stdlib.  There are more useful aspects of
>> the task to discuss.
> I don't mean to but in here and I may have no business
> doing so... But what about circuits.core ?

Well, what about it? The virtue of twisted is that even if we haven't
all used it, we've all heard of it. That speaks volumes about its
penetration into the python world.

Note  that the requirements for inclusion in the standard library (and
at this point the conversation should really move to python-ideas) are
*ideally*:

* well established and widely used
* well written and tested (including working on the major platforms that
python runs on)
* solves a common problem
* the "owners" are submitting the code for conclusion and we have
someone (preferably more than one) commited to maintaining the code in
the core for the forseeable future
* can be integrated with python-as-it-is-at-the-moment without bringing
in new dependencies that *shouldn't* go into python core

Twisted certainly meets the first three of those requirements, the last
two are uncertain and still being discussed. We *don't* go around
fishing for projects to include which is why we haven't suggested
alternatives. There has been ongoing musing about including parts of
twisted for many years however, and the core contributor to this
discussion (Jean-Paul Calderone) is one of the lead developers of twisted.

I think if we *were* going to include an alternative async event loop
into the Python standard library there would have to be very good
reasons for it *not* to be twisted, just because of the prominence of
twisted within the python ecosystem.

All the best,

Michael Foord

--