[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] r88395 - python/branches/py3k/Lib/asyncore.py

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Mon Feb 14 21:08:25 CET 2011

Giampaolo Rodolà <g.rodola at gmail.com> wrote:

> Although I don't use it, it seems that Twisted managed to do this by
> splitting the concepts of "transport" and "protocol" / "application"
> and by using zope.interface.

You might want to look at the ILU core, too, just for ideas.  Somewhat
to my surprise, the link http://www2.parc.com/istl/projects/ILU/ still
works.  The protocol/transport distinction is at
<ftp://ftp.parc.xerox.com/pub/ilu/2.0b1/manual-html/manual_14.html#SEC475>.

The key requirements for an async loop, IMO, are the normal file
descriptor state change notifications, support for timer events, and
support for time-bounded work tasks (that get run when nothing is
happening).

The Tornado IOLoop does all three of these; also worth taking a look at:
<http://www.tornadoweb.org/>.

Bill