[Python-Dev] Distutils2 next steps

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 09:02:51 CET 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 8:48 AM, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:
> On 21.02.2011 08:41, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> Now that Python 3.2 is out, I am planning to do the following with Distutils2:
>>
>> 1 - release a new alpha before Pycon for community feedback
>> 2 - add distutils2 back in the trunk, along with the changes in
>> pkgutil and sysconfig
>> 3 - continue the ongoing work in Distutils2 to prepare the first
>> Python 3.3 release
>>
>> If you want me to give more details here on what is going to be done
>> precisely in the various stdlib parts, let me know.
>
> I think I'm also speaking for the prospective release manager of 3.3
> by saying yes, please, details would be nice, but not necessarily
> *right* now. :)

It's easy enough to give right now:

- pkgutil will gain all the API that are implementing PEP 376 -- a py2
version of this module that has them can be seen at
http://hg.python.org/distutils2/file/tip/distutils2/_backport/pkgutil.py
 for the moment

- sysconfig will need to have two things:

  - create via the Makefile a "_sysconfig" module, so the API stop to
read data dynamically in pyconfig.h and Makefile at runtime
  - [to be validated-discussed] an easier way to configure the
installation paths. the current plan is to use a sysconfig.cfg file
that may be changed. This file will be global to Python, but also
possibly local to a user or a project --
http://hg.python.org/distutils2/file/tip/distutils2/_backport/sysconfig.cfg

- distutils2 will be converted to Py3 using 2to3, then included in
Lib/ -- the code base is ready for this, besides a few spots.

- distutils2 will continue to be released as a standalone project from
2.4 to 3.2. Probably by using 3to2, but I have not tried the tool yet.

Cheers
Tarek

Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org