[Python-Dev] Mercurial conversion repositories

Daniel Stutzbach stutzbach at google.com
Sat Feb 26 19:40:03 CET 2011

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 9:55 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> There is no such thing as an "unnamed branch". What would "hg branches"
> show? An empty space?

I understand now why I was confused.  I had previously read the sentence
"Both Git and Mercurial support unnamed local branches." at
http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/BranchingExplained

But as I dig deeper, I see that there is only one unnamed branch, and it
actually does have an implicit name: "default".

It appears Mercurial supports at least three different kinds of branching:
cloning (similar to Bazaar), bookmarks (similar to git), and named branches.
 So a named branch can contain more than one branch.

Were there reasons for going with named branches over bookmarks?  PEP 385
discusses only cloning and named branches.  I'm just curious, not trying to
start a long discussion. :-)

--
Daniel Stutzbach