[Python-Dev] hg extensions

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sun Feb 27 01:51:38 CET 2011

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 01:25:12 +0100
Éric Araujo <merwok at netwok.org> wrote:
> > I've just tried bookmarks and I find them very cumbersome compared to
> > named branches (which, unfortunately, can't remain local). I wonder
> > what guided their design.
>
> Mimicking git branches.

I've hardly ever used git but I would be surprised if its change
tracking abilities were so poor.

> > (the core issue being that a bookmark blindly follows every commit you
> > do, while you would need it to follow upstream instead!)
>
> I don’t really understand (I don’t really want to, I don’t care for
> bookmarks), but maybe this will help:
> http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/BookmarksExtension#Configuration

That's vaguely better (since it allows to advance one bookmark instead
of both), but it still doesn't allow tracking incoming upstream changes.
Meaning that as soon as I "hg pull" (not to mention "hg merge"), I lose
the ability to easily make a collapsed diff of my local changes.

Regards

Antoine.