[Python-Dev] Possible optimization for LOAD_FAST ?

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Sat Jan 1 18:18:10 CET 2011

On 12/31/2010 12:51 PM, Cesare Di Mauro wrote:
> 2010/12/31 <skip at pobox.com <mailto:skip at pobox.com>>
>

>     >> Another example. I can totally remove the variable i, just
>     using the
>     >> stack, so a debugger (or, in general, having the tracing enabled)
>     >> cannot even find something to change about it.
>
>        Ethan> -1
>
>        Ethan> Debugging is challenging enough as it is -- why would
>     you want to
>        Ethan> make it even more difficult?
>
>     <snarky>
>     I don't know.  Maybe he wants his program to run faster.
>     </snarky>
>

> :D
>
> "Aggressive" optimizations can be enabled with explicit options, in
> order to leave normal "debugger-prone" code.
I wish the Python compiler would adopt a strategy of being able to
disable optimizations.  I wrote a bug about a "leaky abstraction"
optimization messing up coverage testing 2.5 years ago, and it was
closed as won't fix: http://bugs.python.org/issue2506.  The debate there
centered around, "but that line isn't executed, because it's been
optimized away."  It's common in sophisticated compilers (as in, any C
compiler) to be able to choose whether you want optimizations for speed,
or disabling optimizations for debugging and reasoning about the code.
Python would benefit from the same choice.

--Ned.