[Python-Dev] Hello everyone

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Wed Jan 5 19:31:34 CET 2011

On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 17:18:00 +0530, yeswanth <swamiyeswanth at hotmail.com> wrote:
> My name is Yeswanth . I am doing my third year Btech in Computer Science
[...]
> Can anyone suggest me some areas where I can actually start with
> developing for this proje

Welcome, Yeswanth.  Great idea to get involved early :)  I'm guessing
the PSF will apply to GSoC in 2011, but I'm not involved in that
decision so I don't really know anything.

The best way to start out helping is to do what you've done, read the
developer docs (which Brett Cannon is currently updating, by the way).
Next you could take a look at the bug tracker at bugs.python.org.
There are plenty of open issues there that need to be reviewed (anyone
can do reviews).  Try out patches for issues that have existing patches,
note anything missing (tests, doc updates, etc) (supply them if you like),
and report your experiences with testing the patch, and any comments
you may have on it.  When you feel ready to try your hand at writing
patches, click on the 'easy issues' button on the left.  That tag is
assigned to bugs where the reviewer thought the patch could be written
in a day or less of work (of course, if you are still relatively new to
Python coding it may take longer to do the necessary research to be able
to write the patch).

If you like you can also come hang out on the #python-dev IRC channel
on freenode, where a number of the core developers and other folks
hang out and discuss issues (among other things :)

--
R. David Murray                                      www.bitdance.com