[Python-Dev] Checking input range in time.asctime and time.ctime

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Jan 7 03:25:47 CET 2011

R. David Murray writes:

 > I believe that we have had several cases where Windows "crashed" when
 > out-of-range values were passed to the CRT that other platforms
 > accepted.

XEmacs had crashes due to strftime on Windows native with VC++.  Never
went so far as to BSOD, but a couple of users lost recently input
data. :-(  IIRC Cygwin was OK (their libc uses a different code base).
Dunno mingw, almost all of our users either want the full Cygwin
environment or they don't care about GCC, but since mingw uses MSFT
runtime, it's probably vulnerable too.