[Python-Dev] API refactoring tracker field for Python4

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 18:20:14 CET 2011

There are many API changes and proposals that were forgotten and
didn't get into Python 3, although they should be, because it was the
only chance to change things with backwards compatibility break. For
example http://bugs.python.org/issue1559549

This happened, because of poor bug management, where community doesn't
play any role in determining which issues are desired.
This mostly because of limitation of our tracker and desire of people
to extend it to get damn "stars", module split, sorting, digging and
tagging options.

I won't be surprised if things won't change in the next couple of
years, that's why I'd like to propose a very small change, so that
when time will come to create Python4 (and standard library won't be
separated from interpreter by this time), everybody can get quickly
get a list of proposed API enhancements and filter which are eligible
for the next BC API break. This change is a simple "api-refactoring"
flag that could be added to corresponding issues by tracker users.
--
anatoly t.