[Python-Dev] PEP 3333: wsgi_string() function

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 08:07:32 CET 2011

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 6:16 AM, Robert Brewer <fumanchu at aminus.org> wrote:
> Python 3.1 was released June 27th, 2009. We're coming up faster on the
> two-year period than we seem to be on a revised WSGI spec. Maybe we
> should shoot for a "bytes of a known encoding" type first.

There were a few minor* practical issues in getting agreement on how
such a type would actually behave. Instead, the approach WSGI adopted
(or the stricter, 7-bit ASCII only approach used internally by
urllib.parse to handle bytes in 3.2) was deemed sufficient, since it
could be done right now without having to agree on how many different
bikesheds were needed and what colours they should all be.

Cheers,
Nick.

*i.e. major :)