[Python-Dev] devguide: Add a doc outlining how to add something to the stdlib.

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Mon Jan 17 21:32:18 CET 2011

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 21:00:10 +0100, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 21:38:43 +0100
> brett.cannon <python-checkins at python.org> wrote:
> > +
> > +Adding to a pre-existing module
> > +-------------------------------
> > +
> > +If you have found that a function, method, or class is useful and you believe
> > +it would be useful to the general Python community, there are some steps to go
> > +through in order to see it added to the stdlib.
> > +
> > +First is you need to gauge the usefulness of the code. Typically this is done
> > +by sharing the code publicly.
>
> Actually, most feature requests get approved without this intermediate
> step. So I would suggest directing people to the tracker instead.
> Only very large or controversial additions usually get refused on these
> grounds.

A new contributor isn't in general going to know when a small change
is controversial without asking *somewhere*, be it a mailing list or
the tracker.  Searching the tracker to make sure it hasn't already been
proposed and rejected is, of course, a good idea.  Perhaps the
'search the tracker' advice is worth repeating in this specific context.

--
R. David Murray                                      www.bitdance.com