[Python-Dev] Moving stuff out of Misc and over to the devguide

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Jan 17 21:53:16 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 12:32 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> There is a bunch of stuff in Misc that probably belongs in the
> devguide (under Resources) instead of in svn. Here are the files I
> think can be moved (in order of how strongly I think they should be
> moved):
>
> PURIFY.README
> README.coverty
> README.klocwork
> README.valgrind
> Porting
> developers.txt
> maintainers.rst
> SpecialBuilds.txt
>
> Now before anyone yells "that is inconvenient", don't forget that all
> core developers can check out and edit the devguide, and that almost
> all of the files listed (SpecialBuilds.txt is the exception) are
> typically edited and viewed on their own.
>
> Anyway, if there is a file listed here you don't think should move out
> of py3k and into the devguide, speak up.

Wow, that Purify file is really old... Unless anyone can confirm it
still works, maybe just toss it? Barry?

I would think the best way to decide whether something belongs in the
developers guide or in Misc is whether it makes sense for this
information to be included in that tar files that people download for
specific releases. Especially files that contain stuff that might be
useful to copy/paste might still be better off closer to the source
code. From that POV the files for which the argument to move them over
to devguide is weakest are PURIFY.README (though it really should be
named README.purify :-), README.valgrind, and SpecialBuilds.txt.

There's also something to be said for keeping version-dependent info
closer to the source code -- personally, I would expect to be reading
the devguide online.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)