[Python-Dev] devguide: Cover how to (un-)apply a patch.

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 11:35:26 CET 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 5:32 AM,  <skip at pobox.com> wrote:
> The odds that someone will remember the syntax for the diff command for the
> VCS are much higher than the revert command.  My guess is "diff" is executed
> more often than any other version control commands except "update" and
> "commit", and far more often than "revert".  Personally, I'm not sure I've
> ever used "revert" more than a handful of times in my entire professional
> lifetime.
>
> I realize the world is passing me by and that I'm rapidly turning into a
> dinosaur w.r.t. distributed version control, but as you write/update the
> developer's guide remember that proficiency in Python does not necessarily
> equate to proficiency in version control systems, especially with the less
> frequently used commands.  I personally would prefer that more general
> commands and concepts be used where possible so that newcomers not be put
> off unnecessarily by the complexity of version control.

Interesting. I almost *never* reverse patches - I always use the SVN
revert command.

Usually, this is because I will have edited the source tree since
applying the patch. Reversion has the advantage of not getting
confused by any additional changes. I also usually use "svn diff" to
save a copy before I revert in case I change my mind.

Cheers,
Nick.