[Python-Dev] devguide: Cover how to (un-)apply a patch.

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Wed Jan 19 12:04:01 CET 2011

    Nick> Usually, this is because I will have edited the source tree since
    Nick> applying the patch. Reversion has the advantage of not getting
    Nick> confused by any additional changes. I also usually use "svn diff"
    Nick> to save a copy before I revert in case I change my mind.

I routinely use CVS and Subversion at work, occasionally SCCS (yes, we still
have a little of that other dinosaur laying about - our sysadmins, what can
I say? they are luddites).  Most of my interaction with these tools is
mediated through the Emacs vc package, so my direct use of the command line
is reduced even from what you might think normal.  It's generally only when
I need to operate on a group of files that I revert to using the command
line.  That tends to be to check in a group of files or discard one or
changes before checking in, generally by taking a diff and unapplying it
with with patch, perhaps first saving it to a file.  If I want to revert a
change after checking it in, I can just pipe the confirmation email through
patch.