[Python-Dev] Import and unicode: part two

Andy Teijelo ateijelo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 17:45:54 CET 2011

(Hi, I'm writing from an address different to the one I'm subscribed
with to the list because I don't have reverse dns in my mail server and
mail.python.org rejects my messages. I hope that's not much trouble)

Maybe Python should always use an ASCII encodable filename for modules:
a translation of the module name into an ASCII encodable string that,
preferrably, was the same as the module name if the module name didn't
have any non-ASCII characters. Like, if the code said:

import cafe

Python would look for a file named:

cafe.py

but if the code said:

import café

then Python would look, in any platform, for a file named:

café.py  or  café.py  or something nicer.

Something along the lines of xmlcharrefreplace.
Just an idea.

Andy.